Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Looking for Viewpoints

It seems to me that as I get older, I meet more and more folks who grew up in a fundamental Christian home but now embrace much more contemporory church settings in their adulthood.

Conversely, I meet a lot of folks who were not raised in a Christian home at all, got saved in their late teens or early 20's, and they are seeking to establish traditional fundamental Christian homes.

I find these two situations intriguing, perhaps because they represent opposite ends of a pendulum.

I would be interested to hear the whys and wherefores of these decisions from people in both camps.

I've already begun doing some research into this topic, but I imagine this is going to be a while in the works. Depending upon what my research finds and what responses I get to my questions, I may at some point compile my findings into a book format. Any and all comments would be kept anonymous - I wouldn't want to use anything that could in any way be attributed to a specific person or be hurtful to anyone. But I think knowing why people make the decisions they do could prove useful to church leaders trying to reach their communities.

It's just an idea.

Certainly, you do not have to post anything on here if you do not want to. You may email me at kapandpen@bellsouth.net. I am very interested in your opinions and comments.

Thanks!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was just reading a few of your posts and I was wondering, the revival in SC, is it still going on? Our family has just heard about it and was wondering if the meetings were still in progress? That is so exciting!

great blog!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hey Gail, Not sure if we fall into that "moving to contemporary" category or not, but I can tell you what caused our moves. Simply, Sola scriptura. So much of Christianity comes with the baggage of "how we've always done it". I've heard people preach/teach/talk about contemporary vs traditional, but I wanted to step outside of that and get to the third option, Scriptural. I'd be more than happy to discuss this more if you want (been a while since our families got together anyway). Give Shannon a shout if you'd like. I know our situation is a little closer to home than generalities, but I'm more than willing to talk about it.

Kap & Pen said...

Jennifer - thanks for posting! The revival ended a couple weeks ago, with a total of over 100 souls saved! A few called to preach and into mission work, too.

Patti - I'd be glad to discuss this topic. You are right - there is that option, which if I do compile information, I would probably want to include. Thanks!