Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cleaning Up

Cleaning Up My Pantry:
Everything is organized again! I can find the food again, and the containers, and the glass jars, and the coffee. My kitchen is happy, I'm happy, my family is happy. This will last less than one week.

Cleaning Up My Chickens:
Oh yes-all 18 of them. I have chicks in my bathtub. Well, they've outgrown the box...and it's too cold to put them outside yet-so where else can they go? The tub is kind of convenient anyway. I can take them out and rinse out the tub and put them back after it's dry.

Cleaning Up My Time:
Spring cleaning...ah, yes. There's nothing like the scent of fresh air, disinfectant, and warm computer cables. Wait - what was that? Warm computer cables? Well, yes. See, I've been wasting entirely too much time on facebook applications. I love facebook - I have nothing against it as a means of keeping in touch with folks. But all the applications...well...let's just say I spent more time on them than was necessary. So I deleted them today. It's actually quite a liberating feeling. Now I can just go check updates and photos and see what's new with family and friends-and be off!

Cleaning Up Facebook for Employment:
Speaking of facebook, I am continually amazed at what some people will post, either as a status, a comment, or in photo format. The photos really scare me. What goes on in the heads of folks that post embarassing or exceedingly immodest photos? (Fortunately, I don't have a lot of friends on facebook with that problem, but I know others who do.) Employers are starting to look at facebook to see what a potential employee is really like. Not fair? Well, perhaps. But look at it from the employer's point of view: Do I want to hire this well-dressed, professional lady or gentleman...who blatantly advertises her/his use of drugs, alcohol, or worse, on facebook? Probably not. If I'm an employer, I'm going to be looking for someone with character and at least some standards. If a potential employee is going to advertise publicly what he or she does in his or her private life, then I'm as entitled as anyone else to view what is posted and make my decision from there. Let the potential employees out there beware - if you make yourself look foolish or irresponsible on facebook, myspace, youtube, etc., don't be surprised when the best jobs pass you by.

No comments: