Saturday, May 10, 2008

Whew! What a Week!

Well - I am REALLY glad today is Saturday! Where did my week go?

Eleonore and I took a 3-day Publisher class together Tuesday-Thursday. That was awesome! We had so much fun. The first couple of hours, we were following along with the teacher and doing exactly as the examples showed. But then, once we got the concepts down, we were off and running! One time, we were supposed to be making a menu and following the example in the text. But, instead, we made a menu for my niece. (I'm trying to convince her she now owns the PERFECT house for a tea room! She could make scones and crumpets and serve in her dining room or on her completely wonderful and large front porch. She could do it by reservation only, so it wouldn't occupy all of her week....well, maybe in time, anyway!)

To get on with my story, the teacher got to where when he was walking around looking over shoulders to see how the student's were doing, he'd stop and ask Elly and I what we were doing now! We added extra graphics to a lot of the projects and just had great time. The professor was very good-natured and didn't mind at all. Most of the other students were teachers who were in there getting re-certified, and they really enjoyed Elly because she caught on so quick to everything, she was able to scoot over on her many-wheeled office chair and help them catch up or fix something. The teacher was glad for her doing that, as well, since he's only one person. I was very proud of her! She did the same thing two weeks earlier when she took an Excel class (I didn't go to that one). She's a lot like Curt - just understands the computer right off!

In the afternoons, I thought I would have time to get a lot done at home....wrongo! Susan was scheduled to move her trailer Thursday. But when Curt and CJ went over to secure things inside, Curt said it was in no way ready. Poor Sue - she never moved a trailer before, so she didn't know stuff had to be laid down, etc. So, Elly and I went over Tuesday afternoon and spent 5 hours packing stuff up for her (she was at work) and laying down shelves and other furniture. Then we loaded the minivan with stuff to store at the church, just in case something went wrong and the trailer tipped during the move. I didn't want her antiques, etc. to be ruined.

Wednesday afternoon, CJ and the kids and I had to go over to the trailer and take down a large awning over her window, disconnect her electricity to the trailer and the air conditioning unit, disconnect the water pipes, cut down some small trees that were in the way, and haul the awnings to the new site location.

I didn't know CJ knew how to do the electric thing, and I was really nervous about him getting toasted, since the power had not been shut off yet. He assured me he knew what he was doing. When he asked me if I wanted to go watch, I said yes and grabbed a 4 x 4 post and took it with me. He said, "Mom, what is that for?" I said, "To knock you away from the electric box if you start to get zapped." He said I made him nervous, standing there at the ready to knock him away, but he did a great job and my post wasn't needed after all. Praise the Lord! I was really impressed he knew how to do all he did that day, especially with the electrical box.

Thursday, poor CJ sat and waited on the mover ALL DAY and found out in the afternoon that the driver had gotten lost and the mover couldn't find CJ's cell phone to tell him. Jo and I had gone strawberry picking again after class, then had to stop by Curt at one of the schools and pick up CJ's weedeater that Curt had gotten the parts for, and come home. We had to race back home to get things in mail because.......while we were at class, we sold over $100 worth of Boy's HandyBooks and Bible Journals! Can you believe that? The teachers asked us why we were taking the class and we chatted and told them all about our homeschooling and the business that Elly and CJ have doing yard work and housecleaning and about our home publishing business and suddenly about three people wanted to see some of the books. Well, one thing led to another, and we were making sales after classes!

Friday the mover met CJ at the Fire Department nearby so he couldn't get lost, drove out to Sue's, and said, "We can't move the trailer until that carport comes down." Duh. I'd only been saying that since January! Why he didn't say that before, when he had been over looking at the job initially, I have no idea. Anyway, CJ called for me to come get him, and the property owners set to removing the carport.

Friday afternoon we had a tea party for Phoebe (she turned 7) with three of her little friends. It was fun and relaxed - just right! Of course, we made a large fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert! That night we had a special dinner for her with our family and she enjoyed her gifts and we played puzzles and watched a movie.

Today is Saturday. The trailer is actually, as I type, in the process of being moved! Finally! And I am looking forward to enjoying a pleasant and not-so-hectic Mother's Day tomorrow!

No comments: