Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Grammar cue:That is that and that's too much of that!!!!

Okay, some have suggested blogging about specific topics, especially as they pertain to a home business. Well, my home businesses are editing and publishing. It dawned on me I had information which would profit not only my writers, but also fellow homeschoolers. So, I will endeavor to make several posts a week pertaining to writing, grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.

This is the first!

We are going to discuss the complete and total overuse of the word "that." This word, far above all others, is used as a "filler" in sentences, similar to speakers who use "um" or "like" because they can't think of the next real word.

For example:
The next day that came around, I found myslef wishing that I had an apple tree. That would be so convenient. That I could go right outside my door and pick apples would be great! I hope that I will be able to plant an apple tree that will grow lots of apples that can be turned into pies.

Obviously, you are reading the above, thinking, "Okay - who would write a paragraph in such a manner?" Well, my friends, you would be surprised! Read the following and see if it doesn't sound much better:

The next day, I found myself wishing I had an apple tree. It would be so convenient. I could go right outside my door and pick apples! I hope I will be able to plant an apple tree capable of growing many apples; then I could bake apple pies.

You see, you can rewrite a sentence to make it clear without using "that" at all. Now, sometimes it is appropriate to use it, and it can add clarity to a sentence. However, the vast majority of folks tend to use it entirely too often. Look over the next letter you write or the next report your child writes for school. If you come across the word "that" determine if it is truly needed for the sentence to make sense. If not, remove it!

No comments: